January 2019 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains a link to our Monthly Health Features.
GHCT News for January
- Have a Healthy New Year: Did you know that GetHealthyCT.org contains lots of easy-to-follow information that can help you start the New Year out the healthy way? Check out our specific pages on the following topics:
- GHCT Monthly Member Spotlight: Our Member Spotlight for the month of January is Jill Meyerhoff, Marketing & Outreach Specialist for Cornell Scott-Hill Health Center. Click here to learn more about Jill and her involvement with GHCT.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for January
- 1st Annual Winter Run/Walk Winter Series (Stratford): Join Crunch Fitness for this first annual event, to be held indoors on January 5, 12, 19. There will be two time slots each limited to 20 runners/walkers on treadmills. The first time slot is 9 AM for runners and the second time slot is 9:45 AM for walkers. Everyone will have 30 minutes and will be measured by distance. All participants and spectators must sign in at Crunch Fitness in Stratford and sign a waiver to use the gym. Sign-in will start at 7:00 AM on all three dates. Registration for each date will close the night before at 11:59 PM. Reserve your spot(s) now! Cost per race: $15 or $30 for all 3 races. All participants will receive a free seven-day pass for Crunch Fitness and all spectators will receive a three-day pass. Click here for more details.
- Mudras for Meditation (Fairfield): This two-part meditation class will focus first on the best ways to use your words/thoughts to create a successful meditation practice on Monday, January 14, from 6:30 PM-7:30 PM at the Fairfield Woods Branch Library. The second part consists of Mudras finger and hand positions to help create a meditative state, all done while sitting comfortably in a chair. Click here for more information.
- 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service (Bridgeport): Make Martin Luther King Jr. Day a day “on” not a day “off” from work and school. Commit to service with the Office of Campus Activities and Civic Engagement at the University of Bridgeport. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service is an event hosted around the country to celebrate the life and mission of the great Peacemaker. University of Bridgeport’s MLK Day of Service on Monday, January 21, will bring together hundreds of volunteers from all over the greater Bridgeport area to celebrate Dr. King’s dream through serving our local community. Check-in will be at 8:30 AM at the Arnold Bernhard Arts & Humanities Center at UB, located at 84 Iranistan Avenue in Bridgeport. Opening Ceremony will begin at 9:00 AM and service projects will run from 9:30 AM-12:30 PM at various locations. Transportation will be provided to off campus sites, on-campus projects will also be available. Lunch is provided. Click here for more details.
- Resilience (Stratford): Join the Stratford Health Department on Tuesday, January 22, for a screening of the film, Resilience. This film reveals trauma and toxic stress as the largest public health issue of our generation. Together we will explore how we can work to prevent adverse childhood experiences and take action to build resilience in Stratford. Screening will take place on Tuesday, January 22, from 6:30-8:30 PM at Wooster Middle School, 150 Lincoln Street in Stratford. This event will also feature panelists, Dr. Norman Weinberger, pediatrician from Optimus Health Care, Tom Brant and Robin Marino from Stratford Public Schools and Ilaria Filippi, Director of Trauma-Informed Schools at Clifford Beers. Click here for more details.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for January
- Diabetes Support: Diabetes Quiz Night (Greenwich): This event is open to adults with diabetes or pre-diabetes and will take place on Monday, January 14, from 6:30 PM -7:30 PM at Greenwich Hospital, located at 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich. Click here to register and for more details.
- Advances in Acute Stroke Management (Stamford): Join Greenwich Hospital on Tuesday, January 29, from 12:00 PM-1:00 PM at 260 Long Ridge Road in Stamford to learn about advances in acute stroke care that include neuro-interventional management. Learn about this and other recent updates on stroke care at Greenwich Hospital and increase your understanding of when to seek emergency medical attention by identifying the signs and symptoms of strokes. Click here to register and for more details.
- A Multidisciplinary Approach to Weight Loss (Greenwich): Learn how nutritional and psychological counseling create a one-two punch for making lifestyle changes to maximize weight-loss efforts. Hear about scientifically supported strategies that are the focus of a 12-week comprehensive weight loss program. Thursday, January 31, from 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM at Greenwich Hospital, 5 Perryridge Road, Greenwich. Click here for more details.
Greater New Haven Region Events for January
- Hunger 101 (Milford): Coming this January to Milford, an interactive program from CT Food Bank to help you learn more about hunger and food insecurity. Food 2 Kids is working with students from Harborside Middle School to bring in CT Food Bank’s Hunger 101 program to the community on Wednesday, January 16, at 6 PM. This workshop is important for those whose mission is to feed the hungry. Help spread the word to volunteers at food resource programs or who work with the hungry or food insecure persons in our community. Sign-ups will be open soon and space will be limited. Click here for more details.
- Resilience (North Branford): Join the East Shore District Health Department on Thursday, January 10, from 6:00 -7:30 PM at the North Branford Public Library, located at 3 Old Post Road in Northford, for a screening of the film Resilience. Following the film, health professionals will be available for a discussion and answer questions from participants. This film is about childhood trauma and the adverse effects on health over a lifetime. Click here for more details.
- Parent Leadership Training Institute (Milford): The Parent Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) has been successful in helping people become advocates for their children, while assisting them in becoming change agents for their communities. PLTI alumni have gone on to join local boards and commissions, and have worked to create programs in their community. Join the next PLTI class that will start in January, 2019. Click here for more details and to find out how to register. The next class we start to meet on Saturday, January 12.
- Free Trial Class at Cross Fit Science Park (New Haven): Join this free introduction to a typical CrossFit Science Park class. Give yourself the gift of fitness this holiday season and start your journey to wellness on Saturday, January 12, from 8:00 AM-9:00 AM at 310 Winchester Avenue in New Haven. Click here for more details.
January Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- Monthly Health Feature: 2018: Looking Back on a Year of Health Tips
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email email@example.com or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.