November 2017 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features, Workplace Wellness Ideas and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for November
- November is National Diabetes Awareness Month: November is National Diabetes Month! Living with diabetes can be challenging to manage every day. You are the most important member of your diabetes care team, and you don’t have to manage your diabetes alone. Seek support from health professionals, your family, friends, and community to help you manage your diabetes. Click here for more information on managing diabetes and click here to learn how you can promote National Diabetes Awareness Month in your community.
- Knowing Your Numbers Program in Greater Bridgeport: Know Your Numbers (KYN) is a campaign to identify heart disease and diabetes in the underserved community in the Greater Bridgeport region. This campaign is organized by a task force under the Primary Care Action Group (PCAG), a coalition led by Bridgeport Hospital and St. Vincent’s Medical Center, along with area health departments, community health centers, providers and other community organizations. KYN began in 2014 to empower residents with information about their health status and educate them on how to reduce their risk of chronic heart disease or diabetes by bringing free health screenings to local food pantries. Click here to read a personal story about how the KYN campaign helped diagnose a young Bridgeport resident with diabetes earlier this year.
- Healthy Food Donations are Needed: It is that time of year when many local organizations will be asking for food donations or hosting food drives to support local food pantries. Help from local food drives can positively impact the health of our community residents by donating healthier food items this holiday season. Click here to view a simple healthy donation list to use and it is also located under GHCT Spotlight on the main page our website. The donation list is also available in Spanish. Please distribute this list to organizations you know that run food drives at their locations, like schools, churches, business, etc. Need help explaining the importance of donating healthy food? Click here for a document to help you request healthier donations.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for November
- St. Vincent’s Medical Center Medical Mission at Home (Bridgeport): Help spread the word! St. Vincent’s Medical Center is planning their 3rd Annual Medical Mission at home on Saturday, November 4 from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Cesar Batalla School, located at 606 Howard Avenue in Bridgeport. The goal of the one-day event is to provide FREE medical services and referrals for homeless, uninsured or under-insured community members. Click here for more information.
- Nutrition November Mondays (Fairfield): Join Nutrition November Mondays at the Fairfield Woods Branch Library, located at 1147 Fairfield Woods Road in Fairfield, on Mondays in November from 3:00 PM-4:45 PM. These workshops will teach teenagers from 6th grade and older to make simple and nutritious snacks. No registration is required. Click here for more information.
- Lifesavers Healing Together (Fairfield): This event will feature a 5K, 11K run and 1-mile walk for our Heroes on Saturday, November 11 at Jennings Beach, located at 880 South Benson Road in Fairfield. Events start at 8:30 AM and will raise money to continue to offer the free or nominally charged holistic programs and services for Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, First Responders, and their dependents. Click here for more information.
- Sunwise Roots Yoga (Bridgeport): Join this yoga class being offered at the Bridgeport Public Library on Thursday, November 16, located at 925 Broad Street in Bridgeport from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM. No registration is required. Click here for more information.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for November
- Blood Pressure Screenings (Greenwich): Greenwich Hospital will host free blood pressure screenings on Thursday, November 2 from 9:00 AM-11:00 AM. You will also have the opportunity to have your health related questions answered by registered nurses from Greenwich Hospital. This event will take place at 199 Hamilton Avenue in Greenwich. Click here for more information.
- Mommy and Me Yoga (Greenwich): Join this mommy and me yoga class on Thursday, November 2 from 11:30 AM-12:30 PM. This class will offer gentle exercises, meaningful poses and thoughtful medication to bond with your baby and will take place at 38 Volunteer Lane in Greenwich. Click here to register.
- Beginners Guide to a Mediterranean Diet (Stamford): Make plans to join this information session of a beginner’s guide to Mediterranean diet on Monday, November 6 from 11:00 AM-12:00 PM and learn the benefits of Mediterranean-style eating like improved weight loss, better control of blood glucose levels and reduced depression. Class will take place at 260 Long Ridge Road in Stamford. Click here for more information.
- Diabetes Self-Management (Stamford): Join this training discussion on Tuesday, November 14 from 12:00 PM-1:00 PM. This discussion will provide you with helpful information to help you control your diabetes and will take place at 260 Long Ridge Road in Stamford. Click here to register and for more information.
- Shippan Turkey Trot (Stamford): This event is celebrating its 17th year! This Thanksgiving, the turkeys will trot from 280 Ocean Drive East in Stamford starting between Shippan Avenue & Fairview on Thursday, November 23 at 10:00 AM. No registration or fee required, donations raised for the Pacific House are appreciated. Click here for more details.
Greater New Haven Region Events for November
- 4th Annual Anti-Bullying Zumba® Master Class (New Haven): Join BEyond FITness for their 4th Annual Anti-Bullying Zumba® Master Class on Thursday, November 2 from 6:15 PM – 7:30 PM at 55 Laura Street in New Haven. Along with the BEFIT Team and guest Instructors, we will come together to raise awareness and help raise money for our Appreciation Tuesday and Kids classes which been available to everyone for FREE in the Greater New Haven area since March 2014. Ticket are a $5 donation and are available at studio anytime or the day of at the door. Other monetary contributions are welcome anytime. Click here for more details.
- Mindful Meditation (New Haven): Register today for this event aimed to quiet the minds thoughts, anxieties and regrets. Practitioners aim to guide attention to what is happening in the moment. This event takes place on Thursday, November 2 from 1:00 PM-1:30 PM at 20 York Street, Smilow Cancer Hospital in New Haven. Click here to register or for more information.
- Vegan Cooking Workshop (New Haven): Register today for this workshop that will contain easy-to-follow vegan recipes at the New Haven Public Library-Mitchell Branch. This class will take place Saturday, November 4 from 2:00 PM- 4:00 PM. Clara Tolbert will teach families on how to shop and cook healthier on a budget. Registration is not required. Click here for more information.
- Zumba Gold (New Haven): Join Zumba Gold on Tuesday, November 7 from 10:00 AM-11:00 AM at 55 Park Street in New Haven. This gentler Zumba is designed for all populations, regardless of fitness level. Click here to register and for more information.
- Run Turkey Run Thanksgiving 5K (Hamden): This event will take place on Thursday, November 23 beginning at 7:30 AM. This road race will take place on a paved Farmington Canal Heritage Trail behind the Multi-sports Academy, located at 109 Sanford Street Unit G in Hamden. Click here for registration information and other details.
November Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- Monthly Health Feature: Diabetes: What you Need to Know
Information for Employers
- Get Healthy CT aims to provide businesses with ideas that will facilitate healthy behaviors for their employees to improve employee satisfaction, productivity and showcase the employer as a role model for health. To support this, GHCT has created 30+ Workplace Wellness Ideas that employers can implement at low or no cost.
- Click here to view Workplace Wellness Idea #34: Incorporate Fruits and Veggies into the Workplace
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- November Daycare Wellness Feature: Healthy Baking Substitutions
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to email@example.com to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.