July 2018 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features, Workplace Wellness Ideas and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for July
- Save the Date for Family Fitness Day: We are excited to announce that we will be hosting Family Fitness Day on Saturday, July 28 from 11:00 am until 2:00 pm on Paradise Green in Stratford. This is our 6th Annual event being held in honor of National Dance Day, a day that encourages Americans to embrace dance as a fun way to maintain good health. This event will combine dance and other activities to encourage local families to get up and get moving! This FREE and FUN event will include:
- Interactive dance and fitness demonstrations by local dance students and fitness instructors
- Free raffle drawings
- A pop-up market with fresh produce for sale
- Music, dancing and much more! Click here for more details!
- Welcome Farmers’ Market Season: It is that time of year again! Many local farmers’ markets and CSAs are now up and running. See below for our updated lists of places you can go to get fresh and healthy produce!
- GHCT Monthly Member Spotlight: Have you ever wondered what organizations make up this coalition called Get Healthy CT? We be posting a new Member Spotlight to our website each month to help YOU learn more about the organizations and people behind Get Healthy CT. Our Member Spotlight for the month of June is Ellen Liskov. Click here to learn more about Ellen and her involvement with GHCT.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for July
- FreshConnections Produce Pick-up Sites (Bridgeport and Stratford): FreshConnections provides affordable, fresh fruit and vegetables to local residents. The fresh produce is packaged into pre-ordered boxes and delivered twice a month to conveniently located distribution sites in Bridgeport and Stratford. Each box contains pre-selected fruits (3-4 types) and vegetables (3-4 types). Produce varies depending on seasonable availability and pricing. You have a choice of ordering a $10 box (10-12 pounds of produce) that serves 2-3 people or a $20 box (20-25 pounds of produce) that serves 4 or more people. Click here for more information and to see the pick-up site locations and dates.
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (Stratford): Join the Stratford Health Department for walks with local healthcare professionals. Get some great physical activity while also learning about general health and wellness information. Walks will take place on Saturdays in July starting at 9:00 AM at the Stratford Beach Wall, 53 Beach Drive in Stratford. Click here to register.
- FreshStart Smoking Cessation Program (Greater Bridgeport): Trying to quit smoking? Live in the Greater Bridgeport area? Several GHCT partners, including the health departments in Fairfield, Stratford and Trumbull, are now working together to offer the FreshStart program, which is a 5-week workshop series developed by the American Cancer Society. Classes are offered at various locations around the region. The next series will begin on Tuesday, July 10 from 6:00 PM-7:00 PM at the Stratford YMCA and is open to the public. Please contact Kelley Meier at (203) 385-4090 or via email, at email@example.com for more details and to register for an upcoming 5-week session.
- Race4Chase Kids Triathalon (Monroe): The Race4Chase Kids Triathlon is open to any child ages 6-12 (age as of 12/31/18) and will take place on Sunday, July 8 at 454 Purdy Hill Road in Monroe. The day’s events will be broken down by age range and include a swim, bike ride and run. On-site race-day registration will NOT be available. Click here for more details.
- Exercise to Prevent Breast Cancer (Bridgeport): Breast Cancer prevention starts with a healthy diet and exercise. Did you know that any form of exercise such as Yoga, breath work and Qigong can reduce your risk by stimulating lymph flow, strengthening the endocrine and immune systems, and improving your attitude toward your body? Let St. Vincent’s Medical Center help you learn how to reduce your risk on Tuesday evenings (see schedule below) from 5:30 PM-6:30 PM at Trumbull Physical Therapy & Wellness, located at 6527 Main Street in Trumbull. Classes are free and space is limited. Please enter Wellness Center at side entrance with ramp. Click here for more details. Upcoming classes are as follows:
- Tuesday, July 10: The Joy of Breathing
- Tuesday, September 11: Qigong for Lymphatic Flow & Breast Health
- Tuesday, November 6: Therapeutic Yoga
- Climb On! Rock Climbing with the Library (Fairfield): Join the Fairfield Public Library at Rock Climb Fairfield, located at 85 Mill Plain Road in Fairfield from 4:00 PM-5:00 PM on Tuesday, July 17. This event is for Tweens and Teens entering grades 6 and up and will feature a free group climbing lesson. Following the lesson, there will be a brief discussion on the latest adventure and sports books. Prior to the lesson, all participants must have a Rock Climbing Fairfield Release Waiver form submitted. Spots are limited so please register early. Click here for more details.
- Wellness Series Nutrition Class (Bridgeport): A healthy diet is vital in preventing disease. This live cooking demonstration will provide tips and tricks for adding flavor without adding calories. Have fun learning to prepare some seasonal favorites at the Stratford Health & Wellness Center, located at 3272 Main Street in Stratford on Level 2 from 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. These classes are free and space is limited, so register today! Click here for more details. Class dates and topics are as follows:
- Tuesday, August 7: Summer Cookout
- Tuesday, October 2: Fall Flavors
Greater Greenwich Region Events for July
- Your Health Questions Answered: Patients, families and community members can get answers to health questions with a free service provided through Greenwich Hospital. The goal of this program is to educate and empower individuals to live healty and make better healthcare decisions. Services range from providing information about their health concerns and explaining how to find reliable information on the internet. Program patrons do not need to have any affiliation with Greenwich Hospital or live in the Greenwich area. Contact Carolyn English, Consumer Health Librarian, at (203) 863-3286 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Energ-E Blast with Chelsea Piers on the Boardwalk (Stamford): Join Eddie Calle for a high energy dance workout on Tuesday, July 3 from 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the Harbor Point Boardwalk steps, located at 1 Harbor Point Road in Stamford. Eddie began teaching Zumba® in 2010 and has since been successful in sharing his passion for fitness and dance. Eddie teaches not only locally but also across the country in places such as New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Vermont, North Carolina and Florida. Click here for more details.
- 3rd Annual Sunset Yoga in the Park (Rye, NY): Come on out on Wednesday, July 18 from 6:45 PM-8:00 PM at Playland Park, located at 1 Playland Parkway in Rye, NY for Sunset Yoga in the Park. These free yoga classes are open to any level of flexibility and will feature some of the great instructors from Tovami Yoga, fellow yogis, fun vendors and refreshments from Whole Foods. Come and enjoy the beautiful setting of Playland Beach courtesy of Westchester Parks Foundation and our partners Westchester County Parks. Be sure to bring your own mat or towel, Whole Foods will bring additional water and fruit. Click here for more details.
- Mind, Body, Fertility Yoga (Greenwich): The journey of yoga and fertility is a journey of health and healing. The yoga and meditation are part of the fertility treatment and is a way to live your fullest during this hopeful time. Fertility yoga is an ideal solution for calming body and mind. If you are trying to conceive, Mind, Body, Fertility Yoga will help prepare the entire endocrine and reproductive systems to be working as effectively as possible. The fee for this class is $80 for 4 sessions or $25 for walk-ins. Class takes place on Monday, July 2, 9 and 16 from 5:30 PM-7:00 PM and Wednesday, July 18 from 6:00 PM-7:30 PM. Class takes place at 38 Volunteer Lane in Greenwich. Click here for more details.
Greater New Haven Region Events for July
- Get Healthy, Walk and Talk (New Haven): Start your Saturdays out the healthy way by joining physicians from Yale New Haven Hospital for a healthy walk! Take the opportunity to chat with local doctors and meet people on these easy-paced walks. Each walk lasts approximately 1 hour and is suitable for all ages and fitness levels. These walk takes place every Saturday through September and begin at 9:00 AM at 280 Starr Street in New Haven. Free parking is available. Click here to register or email Andy Orefice at email@example.com.
- Free Fitness Friday Boot Camp (New Haven): Pick an upcoming Friday and join this free Community Fitness Boot Camp for women. This outdoor fitness boot camp takes place at the Achievement First Amistad Academy Athletic Field, located at 580 Dixwell Avenue in New Haven at 5:30 AM for 45 – 60 minutes. Classes are free on Fridays only and pre-registration is required. Click here for more details.
- Congenital Heart Disease, Prebirth to Adults (Old Saybrook): Join Yale New Haven Hospital for a discussion that will include an overview of congenital heart disease, epidemiology, newborn screening and diagnosis presentation, warning signs and long term outcomes. This discussion will take place on Thursday, July 26 from 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at 633 Middlesex Turnpike in Old Saybrook. Click here to register and for more details.
July Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- Monthly Health Feature: Have an Active Summer
Information for Employers
- Get Healthy CT aims to provide businesses with ideas that will facilitate healthy behaviors for their employees to improve employee satisfaction, productivity and showcase the employer as a role model for health. To support this, GHCT has created 30+ Workplace Wellness Ideas that employers can implement at low or no cost.
- Featured Workplace Wellness Idea: Provide Healthy Eating Tips
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- Daycare Wellness Feature: Drink More Water
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to email@example.com to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.