May 2019 Newsletter
GHCT News for May
- May is Mental Health Month: Each year The Hub, the behavioral health action organization for Southwestern CT organizes a calendar of events aimed at educating the public about mental health awareness. Click here for the May 2019 calendar of events happening all month throughout Southwestern Connecticut and click here for more details on the different events.
- Monthly Member Spotlight: In 2018, we began to periodically feature a quick interview with GHCT members to help you learn more about WHO is behind all this great work. Our May 2019 member spotlight is Chelsea Kordiak, Executive Director of the Stratford Y. We asked Chelsea some questions about her role in her organization and involvement in GHCT. Click here to learn all about Chelsea and see how she responded.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for May
- Learn about the Impact of Stress and Burnout on your Mental Health (Bridgeport): Join Bridgeport Hospital and take part in this important health symposium. This event will take place on Saturday, May 4, from 8:30 AM to 11:45 AM at Harding High School on 379 Bond Street in Bridgeport. Click here for more information or contact St. Matthew Baptist Church, (203) 414-9366 or email@example.com or NEMG Diversity & Inclusion Council, NEMGD&I@ynhh.org.
- Get Healthy Walk N’ Talk (Bridgeport): Join group walks with healthcare providers every Saturday morning at 9:00 AM beginning May 4. Walks will begin at Seaside Beach Bath House, Bridgeport. Click here for details or for more information call 203-576-7680.
- Zumbathon Fundraiser (Bridgeport): Join Cardinal Sheehan Center for a fit and fun party on Sunday, May 5 from 2:30 PM- 4:30 PM. There is a $10 fee and all the money will go towards renovation of the Youth’s Rec Room. Cardinal Sheehan Center is located on 1494 Main Street in Bridgeport. Click here for more information or contact Natasha Nelson at Tasha2583@gmail.com.
- Discover Wellness Speaker Series (Bridgeport): The Discovery Museum is hosting a community conversation series. The first conversation began in March 2019 and will run through June. The focus of the series will be on topics related to health and wellness. The monthly talks feature local experts facilitating discussions, and will include time for networking, presentation, and group discussion. The third conversation will take place on Tuesday, May 14 from 5:30 PM-7:30 PM and the topic is titled, “Log Out and Discover: Screen Time and Health.” The first 20 people that register will receive a family pack of 4 tickets to the Beardsley Zoo. Raffle prizes, small bites and drinks will be served. Registration is $8 online and $10 at the door. The final monthly talk topic for June will be nutrition. For registration and more details, click here.
- Community Fitness Day (Bridgeport): Join Get Healthy CT and Wakeman Boys and Girls Club for a FREE community event, designed to encourage health lifestyles and prevent and manage disease. There will be free classes for the whole family and activities for kids. This event will take place on Saturday, May 18 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM located at 2412 Fairfield Avenue in Bridgeport. Click here for more details.
- Alpha Community Services YMCA 18th Annual Walk to End Homelessness (Bridgeport): Join Alpha Community Services YMCA on Saturday, May 18 at 9:30 AM. The walk begins at Captain’s Cove, Bridgeport. For more information, contact 203-336-2809 or visit aplphacommunityservicesymca.org.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for May
- Baby Basics I: Prenatal baby class (Norwalk): Join the Center for Advanced Pediatrics for a class that covers what to expect in those first weeks as a new parent. This class is on Wednesday, May 1 at 6:00 PM located at 40 Cross Street, Norwalk. For more information, click here.
- Zumba Fit Camp (Stamford): Join Christina Rabasco & Barry Horton on Cinco De Mayo, Sunday, May 5, for an extreme ZUMBA FIT CAMP class! The class is located on 443 Elm Street, Stamford, from 9:00 AM-10:30 AM. The fee is $20 per person before and at the door. For more information, click here.
- Free Skin Cancer Screening Event (Greenwich): Connecticut Dermatology Group will be offering free skin cancer screenings to new patients. This event will take place on Saturday, May 11, from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM located at 50 Holly Hill Lane in Greenwich. For more information, click here.
- The Oral Health-Systemic Disease Connection (Greenwich): Join the Greenwich Health Improvement Partnership and other health experts on Tuesday, May 21 from 12:00 PM-1:00 PM for a lunch and learn at Greenwich Town Hall. This workshop will focus on how diseases like diabetes, heart disease, stroke and oral cancer can be linked to your dental health. Space is limited. Click here for information on pre-registration details.
Greater New Haven Region Events for May
- Get Healthy Walk N’ Talk with a Doc (New Haven): Join group walks with healthcare providers every Saturday morning at 9am beginning May 4. The walk is at the Farmington Canal Greenway Trail, corner of Shelton Ave. and Starr St., New Haven. Walk will begin at entrance on Starr St. and lasts approximately one hour. Parking is available at New Freedom Missionary Baptist Church, 280 Starr St., New Haven. For more information, click here or contact Andy Orefice at 203-688-5671 or Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Walk and Talk Series (Milford): The Milford Health Department, along with Milford Hospital and other partners, are planning three community walks in May. Walks will take place on three difference dates including, Saturday, May 4, Sunday, May 12 and Saturday, May 18 all at 9 AM. Each walk has a different theme and location. Click here for more details.
- Wake-up the Green Spring Festival (New Haven): This is a free fun filled-day with a Powder House Day Reenactment, animal petting area, kid zone, game zone, yoga, tai chi, food trucks and more. This event will take place on Saturday, May 4, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the New Haven Green. Click here for more details.
- Self C.A.R.E.S. Sunday (Shelton): The C.A.R.E.S. Foundation will treat participants to a variety of self-care options, designed to awaken a sense of wellness and well-being. This day is open to ALL – especially those that have experienced difficulties of any kind. Yoga, meditation, breathing, reflexology, acupuncture and massage are just a few of an array of treatments offered. This event is Sunday, May 5 at 12:30 PM at Echo Hose Educational Center located at 430 Coram Avenue in Shelton. Click here for more information.
- 6th Annual Community Health Fair (New Haven): This free event will take place on Saturday, May 11 from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM at the Stetson Library in New Haven. Event will feature blood pressure checks, dental services, blood sugar testing and eye screenings, as well as mental health education, health insurance sign-ups and much more! Click here for more details.
May Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish. Don’t forget to also check out our archives of all previous monthly health features!
- Monthly Health Feature: Get Moving for Your Health
May Daycare Wellness Feature
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share with you our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early care and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- May 2019 Daycare Wellness Feature: Reducing Screen Time
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email email@example.com or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.