April 2017 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features, Workplace Wellness Ideas and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for April
- Move More this April with the American Heart Association: This movement from the American Heart Association is a way to inspire Americans to “live healthier lives and create lasting change.” For the month of April, the AHA encourages you to: Eat smart, add color, move more and be well. Click here for more information and resources on how you can celebrate this campaign at your home, school or business.
- Get Ready for Screen Free Week 2017: National Screen-Free Week is a campaign dedicated to encouraging children to unplug for a week and get out and play! This year’s week-long event will take place May 1-7. Visit their website for more information on how to plan your own screen-free events. Also, click here to download and print our Screen-Free Week materials that GHCT partners created to help celebrate this week locally.
- Updated GHCT Speaker’s Bureau: Looking for a health and wellness speaker to present information at an upcoming event? GHCT has many partner organizations that can provide presentations on different wellness topics. Click here to view our updated Speakers Bureau list on our website. Are you a local health and wellness expert? Sign-up to be added to our list. Just download and complete the Speakers Bureau interest form. All completed forms can be emailed to email@example.com.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for April
- Zumba class (Bridgeport): Join the Burroughs-Saden Library on the first floor in the Programming Room for this free Zumba class for adults and seniors on Wednesday, April 5 from 6:30 PM-7:30 PM. Wear comfortable clothing to this Latin inspired dance/fitness program, there is no registration required.
- Beach Walk (Stratford): Come out on Saturday, April 8 at 9:00 AM for the Beach Walk at Long Beach, Oak Bluff Road in Stratford. Walkers will meet in the parking lot at Long Beach in Stratford. No registration required. Click here for more information.
- Diabetes 101: What you Need to Know (Trumbull): Join Bridgeport Hospital on Thursday, April 20 to learn what you need to know about diabetes including risk factors, complications, and treatment options. This workshop will take place at 112 Quarry Road in Trumbull in the lower level conference room from 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM. This lecture is open to anyone who is 18 and older. Click here for more information and to register.
- National MS Walk (Fairfield): Register today for this walk to benefit multiple sclerosis taking place on Saturday, April 22 at Jennings Beach in Fairfield. Registration begins at 9:00 AM and the walk begins at 10:00 AM. Click here for more information.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for April
- April Walk in Silvermine (Norwalk): Join the Healthy for Life Coalition for a walk taking place on Saturday, April 1 starting at 8:00 AM at the Silvermine Elementary School parking lot, 157 Perry Avenue in Norwalk. The walk will take place through this scenic neighborhood and will begin by 8:10 AM for approximately 90 minutes. There will be an optional breakfast afterwards at the Silvermine Market. Rain or snow do not cancel the walk. Wear comfortable walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing. Well behaved dogs on leashes are welcome to join! Click here for more information.
- 2017 Greenwich Walk/Run for Hope (Greenwich): Register today for this event taking place on Sunday, April 2 at Greenwich Point Park, 99 Tods Driftway, Greenwich. Same day registration for this event which begins at 7:45 AM and the 5k stars at 9:15 AM. All funds raised go to Cancer Care’s free professional services. Click here to register or for more information.
- Free Blood Pressure Screening (Greenwich): Greenwich Hospital will offer free blood pressure screenings for adults on Monday, April 3. This event takes place at the Health Information Center in the Greenwich Library from 11:30 AM-1:30 PM. No appointments are necessary. For more information call Sandra Chan, at 203-635-6549.
- Greenwich Hospital for Special Surgery Half Marathon (Greenwich): Register today for this event taking place on Sunday, April 9 starting at 7:30 AM. This run will be at Greenwich Point Park in Old Greenwich. This is the newest addition to the Threads & Treads Race Series and takes place on a 13.1-mile course. There are five water stops throughout the race and a shirt and goodie bag will be handed out to take home. Click here for more information.
Greater New Haven Region Events for April
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (New Haven): Join local health care providers every Saturday morning at 9:00 AM from April 1 through June 24 as we walk the Farmington Canal Trail. Get some great physical activity and a chance to talk to health care providers about general health issues. Open to all ages and fitness levels. Attend as many walks as you can! Parking available at New Freedom Missionary Baptist Church, 280 Starr Street, New Haven. Click here for more information and to learn how to register for the walks.
- Coach T Memorial Run for Youth (New Haven): Register today for this event taking place on Saturday, April 8 at Edgewood Park in New Haven. Registration begins at 7:30 AM, the 5k run will begin at 9:00 AM with the half-mile Fun Run beginning at 8:20 AM. Click here for more information.
- 12th Annual Run for Veterans (Guilford): Register today for this event that will feature a 5K and 10K run on Saturday, April 23 at Fireman’s Field in Guilford. Registration fee is $25 through the race day and then it will increase to $30. Click here for more information.
- Passport to Prosperity Walk and Activity Day (New Haven): This event will feature a three-mile walk followed by food vendors, activities for children and a spoken word contest. This event takes place on Saturday, April 22, from 8:30 AM- 4:00 PM at 419 Whalley Avenue, New Haven. Registration is free and the proceeds with go towards the Community Action Agency of New Haven. Click here for more information.
- Party with the Easter Bunny (New Haven): This free event for children happening on April 8, starting at 10:00 AM-12:00 PM on the New Haven Green, 165 Church Street, New Haven. This event includes an Easter Egg Hunt along with other games, music and parents are welcome to accompany their children. The posted rain date for this kid friendly event is April 15th. Click here for more information.
- CT Food Bank Walk Against Hunger New Haven: Join the CT Food Bank on Sunday, April 23 from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM at Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven to rally in support of neighbors in need. As a participant in the Walk Against Hunger, you support our life-changing mission. The event is free, however, fundraising is strongly encouraged. For a little more than $10, we can supply enough food to feed a person for week. Your contribution will change lives! Click here for more information.
- Get Healthy CT Get Fit Day & YMCA Healthy Kids Day (New Haven): Join us as we celebrate our 4th Annual Get Fit Day, in partnership with the New Haven YMCA Youth Center’s Healthy Kids Day. This free family event will take place on Saturday, April 29 from 11:00 AM-2:00 PM on the New Haven Green, and will feature interactive exercise demonstrations, a climbing wall, sports clinics, information on health and local resources, giveaways and more! Click here for more information. Does your organization want to be involved in this event? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org today!
April Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- April Monthly Health Feature: Moving Towards Better Health
Information for Employers
- Get Healthy CT aims to provide businesses with ideas that will facilitate healthy behaviors for their employees to improve employee satisfaction, productivity and showcase the employer as a role model for health. To support this, we will provide a “Workplace Wellness Idea” each month which employers can implement at low or no cost.
- Workplace Wellness Idea #31- Encourage Gardening
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- April Daycare Wellness Feature: How to Know Your Child is Ready For Kindergarten
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email email@example.com or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Help spread Get Healthy CT News! Please forward this information to your local networks or post it on your Facebook page.