July 2017 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features, Workplace Wellness Ideas and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for July
- Visit Our New Page, Wellness Tips: There are many factors that contribute to our health and wellness, not just healthy eating and physical activity. To continue to educate Connecticut on how to be healthy, we recently expanded our website to include links to resources on tobacco and tobacco cessation, heart health and diabetes. Check back often as we will continue to update this page with the latest information to assist in your health and well-being! Click here to view the page today!
- Farmers’ Market Season is here: It is that time of year when you can get healthy and fresh local produce all over our state. We have compiled a list of local farmers’ markets and CSAs by region. Click each region below to view each list that includes locations, hours and other important details about each market.
- Free Get Healthy CT Materials are available: Did you know that Get Healthy CT has free print materials and other items that are available to local organizations for distribution? Our bookmarks feature simple tips about healthy eating, ways to increase your physical activity and the importance of reducing your salt and sugar intake. Our web cards are designed to tell people about the resources available on our website. All items are available in English and Spanish. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to order your materials today.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for July
- Fairfield Bike Share Program (Fairfield): Did you know that you can borrow a free bike from the Fairfield Bike Share Program? Bikes can be borrowed for fun, exercise, or to park the car and run a few errands. Bikes are available to borrow at Zane’s Cycle, 1215 Post Road (203-256-8735) during their regular hours of operation. Click here for more information or contact Santina Jaronko, at (203) 256-3150 or by email at email@example.com.
- Fresh Connections (Stratford): The Stratford Health Department has partnered with LifeBridge Community Services to launch a Fresh Connections produce-distribution site in Stratford. This bi-monthly program will began in May 2017 and takes place from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Birdseye Municipal Complex, 468 Birdseye Street in Stratford. Fresh Connections, a cost-effective approach to providing residents with fresh produce, offers participants the opportunity to purchase a box of fresh fruits and vegetables twice a month or the ability to shop for individual items from the “pop-up” stand. Residents can purchase 10 to 12 pounds of produce for $10 or 20 to 25 pounds for $20. Pop-up items will vary in price. This program is open to everyone and no appointments are necessary. For more information, call the Stratford Health Department at (203) 385-4058 or visit their Facebook page.
- Nature Walk (Stratford): Meet at The Dock Shopping Center, by the Washington Bridge parking lot, for a two-hour walk starting at 8:00 AM on Saturday, July 8. Click here for more information.
- Diabetic Foot Care (Stratford): On Tuesday, July 11 at 2:00 PM join, Bridgeport Hospital’s Chief of Podiatry Ceasar Irby, DPM, as he discusses foot care for people with diabetes during a free lecture. This event will take place at the Stratford Senior Center, located at 1000 West Broad Street in Stratford. To register, click here or call (888) 357-2396.
- Freedom Community Festival (Bridgeport): 5th Annual Freedom Community Festival will take place on Sunday, July 16 from 10 AM- 8PM at McLevy Green, 177 State Street in Bridgeport. This event is free and will feature health information and screenings, youth activities, backpack giveaways, music, food truck vendors and more! Click here for more information.
- National Dance Day Celebration (Stratford): Get Healthy CT is excited that we will be hosting our 5th Annual National Dance Day Celebration on Saturday, July 29th. The event will be held from 10:00 am until 1:00 pm on Paradise Green in Stratford, with a rain location at The Star Factory, 3520 Main Street in Stratford. National Dance Day is an annual celebration that takes place on the last Saturday in July as a way to encourage Americans to embrace dance as a fun and positive way to maintain good health. Join us on July 29th for dance demonstrations from 10 local dance studios, including some audience participation opportunities! This free family event will also feature information tables from about 20 local organizations, over 15 raffle prize drawings and much more! Event is free, but we do ask that you bring a healthy food item to donate to a local food pantry. Click here to download and print the flyer and donation list. For more information, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for July
- Sing and Stomp (Stamford): Families are welcome every Wednesday from 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at the Harry Bennett Branch Library, located at 115 Vine Road in Stamford, for this song and dance party! Event is open to families with children ages 18 to 36 months. Click here for more information.
- A Multidisciplinary Approach to Weight Management (Greenwich): Come learn how nutritional and psychological counseling creates a one-two punch for making healthy lifestyle changes to maximize weight loss efforts. Hear about scientifically supported strategies that are the focus of the 12-week Comprehensive Weight Loss Program. This workshop will take place on Monday, July 10 from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM at Greenwich Hospital, located at 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich in the Noble Conference Room. Click here to register.
- Corporate Fun Run Fairfield County (Norwalk): Register today for this 5K event taking place on Thursday, July 27at 5:00 PM at Cranbury Park, located at 300 Grumman Avenue in Norwalk. The pre-race activities will take place on the large grass field directly behind Gallaher Mansion and right next to the Pavilion. The post-race party featuring food and music will be staged on the grass field as well. Click here for more information.
- PENI: Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Baby (Greenwich): Having a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 30 puts a pregnant women and her baby at risk. Join Greenwich Hospital, located at 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich, for a session on how to promote a healthy pregnancy and deliver a healthy baby on Thursday, July 20 from 6 PM – 7 PM. At the session, you will meet a high risk maternal-fetal medicine specialist/perinatologist, learn essential information from a registered dietitian, and join or observe in some light resistance training exercise. You will also hear about the Pregnancy, Exercise, Nutrition Initiative (PENI). Click here to register.
- Yoga for Kids (Greenwich): Monday, July 24 from 3:30 PM-4:30 PM at the Byram Shubert Library in the Community Room. Join Kristin DrGroat for a fun session and learn some of the ways yoga benefits children like improved focus, study habits and sleep. Click here for more information.
Greater New Haven Region Events for July
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (New Haven): Join and chat with local physicians from Yale New Haven while getting healthy and taking a walk every Saturday through August at 9:00 AM. Everyone is welcome to attend; there is public transportation, and parking available at New Freedom Missionary Baptist Church, located at 280 Starr Street in New Haven. Walks last about an hour and you are encouraged to walk at your own pace. Click here for more information.
- Meditation Class (Hamden): Meditate to reduce stress every Sunday from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM at Your Community Yoga Center, located at 39 Putnam Ave in Hamden. Come learn some creative stress management techniques that we can apply in our daily lives. There will also be Q&A towards the end for any questions students may have. This is a FREE event. Click here for more information.
- Outdoor Mindful Yoga & Meditation for Stress Relief (New Haven): Make plans to participate in four outdoor yoga and meditation sessions in the beautiful courtyard of the Hall of Graduate Studies at Yale University. The first session will be held on Wednesday, July 5th at 6:00 PM and will be led by the amazing Tracy George, a Yale Health Educator, who also runs the Koru Mindfulness series across campus. Bring your own yoga mat or you can simply practice on the grass. The sessions are free, but you must register in advance. In case of rain, the events will be held at the OISS, but you will be notified of that change on the day of the program. Click here for more details.
- Learn to Meditate (Guilford): Join this free workshop on Saturday, July 8 from 10 AM -11:30 AM at the Guilford Free Library, located at 67 Park Street in Guilford. Come learn how to meditate by letting go of distractions and focusing on positive states of mind. This class will include guided meditations, advice to help carry a peaceful mind into daily life and time for discussion. Light refreshments will be served. Everyone is welcome and no experience necessary. Click here for more information or call (860) 266-6041.
- Savin Rock 5K (West Haven): The 6th running of the Savin Rock 5K loves its new home in warm July! Enjoy a flat run along the beach on the Savin Rock Boardwalk with nice coastal breezes on Sunday, July 16 at 8:00 AM. This is race 3 of the Shoreline Sharks 5K Streaker Series, but you don’t need to run all 3 races. Click here for more information.
- soundRUNNER Sea Legs Shuffle (Guilford): Get your long run in this summer in Guilford at the soundRUNNER Sea Legs Shuffle on Sunday, July 30. This event offers a 10-Mile, 5K and Kids Fun Run at the Guilford Fairgrounds. The 10-Mile is the USATF-CT State Championships. Race proceeds benefit the Guilford Center for Children. Click here for more information.
July Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- July Monthly Health Feature: Hydrate for an Active Summer
Information for Employers
- Get Healthy CT aims to provide businesses with ideas that will facilitate healthy behaviors for their employees to improve employee satisfaction, productivity and showcase the employer as a role model for health. To support this, we will provide a “Workplace Wellness Idea” each month which employers can implement at low or no cost.
- Workplace Wellness Idea #14- Deskercise
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- July Daycare Wellness Feature: Immunizations
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email email@example.com or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! You can now follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter!