January 2018 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features, Workplace Wellness Ideas and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for January
- Healthy Weight Week 2018: Did you know that January 15-19, 2018, is National Healthy Weight Week? According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “when it comes to weight loss, there’s no lack of fad diets promising fast results. But such diets limit your nutritional intake, can be unhealthy, and tend to fail in the long run.” Click here to find out more information on what a healthy weight is and how to achieve it.
- Eat Healthy in 2018: Here are links to some of our favorite healthy recipe resources. Don’t forget to also check out our website under the Healthy Eating tab for even more recipes!
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for January
- FreshConnections Cooking Class (Bridgeport): This cooking class is being held at the Bridgeport Library, Burroughs-Saden Branch, located at 925 Broad Street in Bridgeport on Wednesdays January 10 and January 24 from 12:00 PM to 2:30 PM. No registration required to attend. Click here for more information.
- Diabetes Prevention Program (Fairfield): Join the Fairfield Health Department for a FREE 18-week diabetes prevention program on Wednesdays starting Wednesday, January 10, from 6:30 PM-8:00 PM. This free program was developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help you make the changes you need to reduce or delay your risk of Type 2 Diabetes. The program will meet at the Fairfield Regional Fire Training School, located at 205 Richard White Way in Fairfield. You must register to guarantee your space by contacting Santina Jaronko at (203) 256-3150 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for more details.
- Healthy Resolutions (Trumbull): Join the Trumbull Health Department for Healthy Resolutions, a 4-week program structured to help you achieve your goals for 2018. This class will teach individuals how to live healthier lifecycles by setting realistic goals, managing stress, and eating a more balanced diet. The program will take place on Wednesdays from January 10 to 31 in the Helen Plumb Building, located at 571 Church Hill Avenue in Trumbull from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Click here for more information and call (203)452-1030 to register.
- Freshstart Smoking Cessation Program (Fairfield): The health departments in Fairfield, Stratford and Trumbull are teaming up to offer a FREE 4-week smoking cessation program in Fairfield on Mondays starting January 22 at the Fairfield Woods Library. Space is limited and you must register to attend. Click here or contact Santina Jaronko at (203) 256-3150 or email email@example.com for more information on how to register.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for January
- Boston Build Up XL Winter Series 2018 (Norwalk): Register online today for this Build Up XL Series 10k being held at Brien McMahon High School, located at 300 Highland Avenue in Norwalk on Sunday, January 7, beginning at 10:00 AM. Plan to arrive an hour early to check in. Registration is online only. Click here to register.
- Diabetes Self-Management Goals for the New Year (Greenwich): This event is being offered by Greenwich Hospital, 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich on Monday, January 8, from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM and is aimed for individuals to set healthy goals for the upcoming year in regard to diabetes. Click here to register and for more information.
- A Multidisciplinary Approach to Weight Management (Stamford): This class aims to teach individuals how to nutritionally and psychologically partake in healthy lifestyle changes maximizing weight loss efforts, while learning strategies that are focused on the comprehensive weight loss program. This event will take place on Wednesday, January 24, from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM at 260 Long Ridge Road in Stamford. For more information or to register, click here.
- New Year, New Food Labels (Stamford): This event will take place on Wednesday, January 31, from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM at 260 Long Ridge Road in Stamford and will teach individuals how to read new nutritional fact labels on packaged food and how to shop healthy with new scientific information. You will also learn more about the link between diet and chronic diseases such as obesity and heart disease. Click here to register and for more information.
Greater New Haven Region Events for January
- Tuesday Evening Meditations (New Haven): This weekly class, being held at the New Haven Public Library, features meditation techniques to promote self-awareness, relaxation and mindfulness. Classes will take place on Monday, January 2, 9, 16 and 23 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM in the Phillp Marret Room of the library, located at 133 Elm Street in New Haven. Registration is not required. Click here for more information.
- Labyrinth Walk (New Haven): This meditative exercise will provide a quiet walking meditation and it only takes 5-10 minutes to complete the circuit. The walk is occurring on Monday, January 8 from 11:00 AM from 12:30 PM at 55 Park Street in New Haven. Walk-ins are welcome. Click here to register and find more information.
- Winter Wonderland 5 Miler (Milford): Register today for this event being hosted by the Milford Road Runners on Sunday, January 28. Same day race registration begins at 8:30 AM and the race begins at 9:30 AM. The race will start at Platt Regional Tech School, located at 600 Orange Avenue in Milford. Click here to register for the race or for more information.
- Live Well with Diabetes (Branford): Register today for this free diabetes self-management class. Learn about the understanding of common symptoms, exercising for fun and fitness, eating well, managing your medication and other important factors. The East Shore District Health Department is hosting this 6-week program that will meet on Monday evenings from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM beginning on January 22 and ending February 26. The class will meet at the East Shore District Health Department, located at 688, East Main St. in Branford. Please call Barbara Naclerio at (203) 481-4233 to register or click here for more details.
January Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- Monthly Health Feature: Eating Healthy on a Budget
Information for Employers
- Get Healthy CT aims to provide businesses with ideas that will facilitate healthy behaviors for their employees to improve employee satisfaction, productivity and showcase the employer as a role model for health. To support this, GHCT has created 30+ Workplace Wellness Ideas that employers can implement at low or no cost.
- View our latest Workplace Wellness Idea #35: Walking Challenge in the Workplace
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- Daycare Wellness Feature: Protecting Kids from Germs
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to email@example.com to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.