February 2020 Newsletter
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for February
- Mindfulness & Meditation in the Museum (Fairfield): Join this free guided meditation session on Thursday, February 6, 4:00 PM – 4:30 PM. Learn to calm your mind in this class led by master certified meditation and mindfulness teacher, Jackie DeLise. No prior experienced or equipment necessary, comfortable clothing recommended. Located at Fairfield University Art Museum, 200 Barlow Road in the Bellarmine Hall Galleries.
- Yoga with Shinda Bridgeport Public Library (Bridgeport): For the month of February, join Shinda for a relaxing hour of yoga and meditation on Mondays at 10:30 AM at the North Branch and Saturdays at 10:00 am at the Black Rock Branch. Feel the stress and aches fade away as she guides you through traditional poses and stretches to help you feel your best. Call the Info Desk to register: 203-576-7025. Click here for more details.
- Cardiac Support Group (Fairfield): The Heartbeats Cardiac Support Group will be on February 5 and on the first Wednesday of each month from 6:00 PM-7:00 PM, thereafter. The location for the group will be at Bridgeport Hospital’s Cardiac Rehab facility at 1305 Post Road, Suite 105, in Fairfield. Anyone with any type of heart disease or having a loved one with heart disease are welcome to attend. For more information, please call 203-256-5896. Click here for more information.
- Are You Ready to Make a Lifestyle Change? (Fairfield): The Fairfield Health Department is offering a free 13-week Healthy Lifestyles Program to help you make the changes you want to live a healthier life. Program focus: weight loss, heart disease, diabetes and pre-diabetes, and high blood pressure prevention and management. Runs every Wednesday starting on January 29 from 6:30 PM-7:30 PM, at the Fairfield Regional Fire Training School, 205 Richard White Way. To register, please contact Santina Jaronko at (203) 256-3150 or email at email@example.com.
- Free Blood Pressure Screening (Trumbull): The Trumbull Health Department is hosting a free blood pressure screening on Monday, February 3, 9:30 AM-11:30 AM at the Lakewood-Trumbull YMCA, 20 Trefoil Drive in Trumbull.
- Northeast Flag Football League (Bridgeport): Registrations are being accepted for the Spring Flag Football League in Bridgeport, Trumbull and neighboring towns. The growth and size of the NEFFL has allowed us to gear the program to accommodate all skill levels. From an offseason training activity for youth tackle players to beginning players new to the sport of flag football. Games on Sunday mornings beginning in April. Only a two hour weekly commitment. Click here for more information.
- Spring Sports Academy (Bridgeport): Registrations are being accepted for the Spring Sports Academy – Lacrosse, Strength and Conditioning, Track and Field, Yoga, Soccer and Flag Football. Learn at all levels: beginners, intermediate, high school. Learn to play from Fairfield County’s most talented and gifted high school and college players. There will be some sessions with pro players. Click here for more information.
- Mobile Food Pantry (Bridgeport Area): The Connecticut Food Bank Mobile Pantry will be onsite to provide fresh and healthy food for those in need. Be sure to bring your own grocery bags! For more information, contact the Food Bank at 203-469-5000.
- Weisman AmeriCares Free Clinic of Bridgeport, 2nd Saturday from 10:00 AM-11:00 AM at 115 Highland Ave, Bridgeport, CT
- Stratford Health Department at Holy Name Of Jesus Roman Catholic Church, 1950 Barnum Ave, Stratford 2nd Tuesday from 3:00 PM-4:00 PM
- Bridgeport Hospital: 5:30 PM-6:30 PM at Bridgeport Hospital, 200 Mill Hill Avenue
- Vincent’s Medical Center: 2:30PM to 3:30PM St. Vincent’s Medical Center 2800 Main Street, Bridgeport Fourth Friday of each month
- Click here for more locations and dates
Greater Greenwich Region Events for February
- Am I Having a Heart Attack? (Stamford): Gain valuable information about heart disease including cardiac risks and symptoms on Tuesday, February 11, 12:00 PM-1:00 PM at 260 Long Ridge Road in Stamford. Click here for more information.
- Healthy Eating for Healthy Heart (Greenwich): Are you confused about which types of fat to include in your diet, and which types to avoid? What are trans fats? Where does the majority of sodium in your diet come from? How much salt is too much? Join us for an evening filled with practical tips for a heart healthy diet and reduce risks of high blood pressure and heart disease. This workshop will take place on Tuesday, February 11, 6:00 PM-7:00 PM at Greenwich Hospital, Noble Conference Center, 5 Perryridge Road. Click here for more information.
- My Aching Back: Common Causes and New Solutions (Greenwich): Not all back pain is the same. That’s why a correct diagnosis is so important to finding lasting relief. ONS Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon, Heeren Makanji, MD, will discuss some of the most common causes of back pain and the new non-surgical and surgical treatments that can remedy the condition or injury. He will also explain why new precision computer technology is making back surgery shorter, safer and provides better outcomes. Q & A. This workshop will take place on Wednesday, February 12, 6:00 PM-7:00 PM at Greenwich Hospital in the Noble Conference Center, 5 Perryridge Road. Click here for more information.
- Heart Health and Stroke Fair (Greenwich): This annual event, taking place on Wednesday, February 19, 8:00 AM-10:30 AM during Heart Month, offers a chance to talk with numerous medical professionals one-on-one in a casual atmosphere about preventing and reducing risk of heart-related health conditions. Educators, pharmacists, dietitians, holistic practitioners and other hospital staff will be on hand to answer questions and discuss cardiac nutrition, medications, genetic concerns and lifestyle changes to help keep your heart as healthy as possible. This event will take place at Greenwich Hospital, Noble Conference Center, 5 Perryridge Road. Click here for more information.
Greater New Haven Region Events for February
- Love Thyself: A Year Round Approach to Self-Care (New Haven): Join Annie Crocker, LMT at the Elm City Wellness, on Monday, February 10 at 6:30 PM at 774 Orange Street, as she takes you through this transformational workshop where simple yet powerful tools and techniques are taught so you can nurture and nourish yourself throughout the year. This class is free but space is limited so it is recommended to come early to claim your spot. Click here for more information.
- Gentle Yoga for Oncology Patients (New Haven): Yoga is a soothing practice that connects the mind and body with the thread of the breath. Yoga cultivates balance and fosters well-being. During this yoga session, on Tuesday, February 11 from 10:30 – 11:30 AM, breath will be linked with simple movements to improve posture, flexibility and strength. A discounted parking rate is available for this class. Who should enroll? Anyone 16 and older receiving cancer treatment at Smilow Cancer Hospital or anyone of our affiliate care centers and their caregivers. Location for this session is 48 York Street in New Haven. Click here for more information.
- Pure Barre Milford Coming Soon! (Milford): Join this Pure Barre class at Lululemon in New Haven on Sunday, February 23 and get an intro to one of the most effective, low-impact workouts out there. We will have an amazing class that is FREE to attend. You must sign-up ahead of time as spots are very limited. Located at 11 Broadway in Milford. Click here for more information.
- Northeast Flag Football League (New Haven): Registrations are being accepted for the Spring Flag Football League in Amity, Hamden, New Haven and West Haven. The growth and size of the NEFFL has allowed us to gear the program to accommodate all skill levels. From an offseason training activity for youth tackle players to beginning players new to the sport of flag football. Games on Sunday mornings beginning in April. Only a two hour weekly commitment. Click here for more information.
February Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish. Don’t forget to also check out our archives of all previous monthly health features!
- Monthly Health Feature: Healthy Eating and Cooking Tips
February Daycare Wellness Feature
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share with you our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early care and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- February 2020 Daycare Wellness Feature: Learn About Lead
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to email@example.com to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.