March 2018 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features, Workplace Wellness Ideas and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for March
- March is National Nutrition Month: Did you know that March is National Nutrition Month? Take time this month to visit our website to learn more about how to prepare healthier meals. Another great resource for information to use to promote National Nutrition Month is the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics One of their many resources is this tip sheet on 18 Health Tips for 2018. Click here for even more information and useful resources and spread the word today and throughout the month of March!
- Central Connecticut Coast YMCA Camp and Membership Open House: Join your local Central Connecticut Coast YMCA location on Saturday, March 17 to learn more about summer camp and membership options. Click here to find the Y location closest to you and click on the handouts below for healthy tips from your local Y.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for March
- Kids Zumba (Stratford): The Stratford YMCA will be starting a new Kids Zumba class on Friday nights from 5:00 PM-5:45 PM starting Friday, March 2. This class is for current members of the Y and is for children ages 5 -12. Call the Stratford Y at (203) 375-5844 for more information on how to become a member.
- Pi Day 5K (Monroe): This race will take place on occurring on Sunday, March 11 at Fawn Hollow Elementary School, located at 345 Fan Hill Road in Monroe. Check-in and registration begins at 7:45 AM and the race starts at 9:00 AM. This race will raise funds for the Kathy Kuhl Memorial Scholarship, which gives scholarships to graduating seniors from Masuk High School. Click here to register today.
- Good Reads, Good Eats (Fairfield): Come savor a food-based story and create a healthy and tasty treat. Children will learn basic food prep skills with emphasis on fresh and nutritious ingredients. Parents will be responsible for checking the ingredient list for possible food allergies. This program is for children in grades K-2. Parent or caregiver must remain in the library for the duration of the program. Registration is required and is for all 3 classes, which will take place on Mondays, March 19, March 26 and April 2 from 4:00 PM-5:00 PM at the Fairfield Woods Branch Library in Fairfield. Click here to register.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for March
- Stoke Support: Nutrition and Eating Healthy (Greenwich): This class will offer information on stoke-related topics including prevention, nutrition, safety and medication management. This class will take place on Wednesday, March 14 from 4:00 PM-5:00 PM at Greenwich Hospital, located at 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich. Click here to register and for more information.
- Cancer Wellness: Nutrition and Cancer (Greenwich): This class will help you to learn how nutrition, weight management and exercise can help reduce your risks and improve your diagnosis. Join Greenwich Hospital staff on Thursday, March 22 from 6:00 PM-7:30 PM at 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich. Click here to register and for more information.
- Benefits of a Mediterranean Diet (Greenwich): Come learn all about the benefits of a Mediterranean style eating pattern, such as weight loss, better control over blood glucose level and blood pressure. This event will take place on Monday, March 26 from 11:15 AM-1:00 PM at 109 Sound Beach Avenue in Old Greenwich. Click here to register and for more information.
Greater New Haven Region Events for March
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (New Haven): Save the Dates! Our Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk series is returning to New Haven on Saturdays from April 7 through September 29 from 9:00 AM-10:30 AM. Meeting location is 280 Starr Street in New Haven. Join physicians, and other health professionals, from Yale New Haven Hospital and beyond on a healthy morning walk. Parking is available. All ages and fitness levels welcome. Click here for more information on how to register and click here for the flyer. Registration is optional and not required to attend.
- Tips for a Healthy Shopping Cart and Cooking (New Haven): This free class will provide you with tips on how to navigate the grocery store and your kitchen and will include food shopping and meal planning information. This event will take place on is occurring on Friday, March 2 from 12:00 PM-1:00 PM at 55 Park Street in New Haven. Click here to register or for more information.
- 1 PLR Connex Credit Union Shamrock and Roll 5K (New Haven): Join Connecticut’s largest St. Patrick’s themed road race on Sunday, March 4 at Toad’s Place in New Haven. Registration begins at 7:30 AM and the 5K begins at 9:00 AM. Don’t forget to dress up in your best St. Patrick’s Day costume. Awards are presented for both best costume and winner of the race. Click here to register.
- Zumba Gold (New Haven): This class is a fix of meringue, salsa, cha cha, belly dance, tango and flamenco that creates a fun and easy work out by just following the dance moves. This event will occur on Tuesdays, March 6 and March 20 from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM at 35 York Street, Smilow Cancer Hospital in New Haven on the 4th floor in the conference room. Click here to register.
- 5th Annual James Mattioli 5K (Milford): Register today for this event on a certified 5K course that starts at Fowler Field in Milford, passing the James Mattioli Playground, running along the beautiful Gulf Beach and ending back at Fowler Field. Event takes place on Saturday, March 24 beginning at 10:00 AM. Click here for more information and to register online.
March Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- Monthly Health Feature: Eating Right Isn’t Complicated
Information for Employers
- Get Healthy CT aims to provide businesses with ideas that will facilitate healthy behaviors for their employees to improve employee satisfaction, productivity and showcase the employer as a role model for health. To support this, GHCT has created 30+ Workplace Wellness Ideas that employers can implement at low or no cost.
- Click here to view all 33 of the Workplace Wellness Ideas
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- Daycare Wellness Feature: Eat the Rainbow
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to email@example.com to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.