November 2018 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for November
- GHCT Monthly Member Spotlight: Our Member Spotlight for the month of November is Chef Raquel Rivera-Pablo, Chef and Owner, A Pinch of Salt. Click here to learn more about Marilyn and her involvement with GHCT.
- November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month: Lung cancer is one of the most common cancers among men and women. November is National Lung Cancer Awareness month. This year, wear a white ribbon to show your support! Click here for more information about lung cancer from the American Cancer Society.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for November
- Vicki Soto 5K (Stratford): Join the 6th Annual Vicki Soto 5K on Saturday, November 3. Not interested in running? This event will include an activities tent that will include face painters, balloon twisters, and artists as well as food tents. All proceeds will go to the Vicki Soto Memorial Fund, Inc. 501c(3) charitable organization for students pursuing a career in the field of education. Click here for more information.
- AHA Infant CPR Anytime! (Bridgeport): Attend the American Heart Association (AHA) Infant CPR Anytime! Course to learn the lifesaving skills of CPR. The class will be taught by a certified CPR instructor and will provide a kit to take home which includes a personal practice manikin, a CPR Skills Practice DVD, and a Quick Reference Skills Reminder Card. This is not a certification course. Parking will be validated by the instructor and available in the Kaulbach Garage. Attendees must be 12 years old or older to enroll. Feel free to bring infants to class if they are 4 months or less in age. This class will take place on Thursday, November 8 from 7:15 PM – 8:15 PM at Bridgeport Hospital, 267 Grant Street in Click here for more information.
- Connecticut Food Bank Bridgeport Open House (Bridgeport): Come by and learn about the new Connecticut Food Bank Bridgeport Distribution Center. See behind the scenes and learn how food is distributed to a network of community food assistance programs that serve people throughout Fairfield County. This will take place on Saturday, November 10 from 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM at the Connecticut Food Bank, 229 Mountain Grove Street in Bridgeport. Click here for more information.
- Fairfield Run Group (Fairfield): Looking for some people to run with? Join the folks at sound RUNNER in Fairfield for group runs on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 PM and Saturday mornings at 8:00 AM. Don’t do it alone, it is always nice to run with friends! Run distance is 3-5 miles on Wednesday and 3-7 miles on Saturday starting at 1596 Post Road. All abilities are welcome. Click here for more information.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for November
- Oneness Meditation (Greenwich): You are invited to join us for this FREE event of Oneness Meditation with Catherine Scherwenka. Oneness Meditation is a powerful meditation that creates a neurobiological shift that accelerates awakening. This event will take place on Saturday, November 3 from 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM at the Byram Shubert Library, located on 21 Mead Avenue in Greenwich. Click here for more information and to register.
- Harbor Point 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5K (Stamford): Come join the 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5K on Thursday, November 22 from 8:30 AM-11:30 AM at The Point Café (next to Bareburger), located at 2200 Atlantic Street in Stamford. This run has no entry fee. Registration on the day of starts at 7:30 AM. Click here to register.
- Rye Farmers Market (Rye): Occurring since 1991, the Down to Earth Rye Farmers Market has worked hard to join the community by offering locally farmed and produced foods such as fruits, vegetables, flowers, grass-fed beef and pasture-raised eggs, artisan baked goods and more. This market will take place on Sunday, November 4 from 8:30 AM-2:00 PM at Down to Earth Rye Farmers Market, located at Purdy Avenue in Rye, NY. This event will continue every Sunday until early December. Click here for more information.
- Your Aching Feet: Foot & Ankle Pain Solutions (Greenwich): Does feet and ankle pain limit your daily activities? Come join for a discussion with orthopedic surgeon Dr. Mark Yakayonis regarding causes and solutions for painful foot and ankle conditions such as plantar fasciitis, toe arthritis, bunions and hammer toe, and common lower extremity injuries suffered by student athletes, gymnasts and ballet dancers. This event will take place Wednesday, November 14 from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Greenwich Hospital, 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich. This discussion will also cover the latest developments in synthetic cartilage implants and foot and ankle joint replacement. Click here for more information.
- Movember – Men’s Physical and Mental Health (Greenwich): Learn about men’s health risks such as prostate and testicular cancer, depression and suicide and how to achieve a healthier lifestyle. This event will take place Monday, November 5 from 6:00 PM-7:00 PM at Greenwich Hospital, 5 Perryridge Road in Greenwich. Click here for more information.
- Holiday Eating Survival Guide (Stamford): Learn how to control your weight by using new tricks to make healthy food choices during the holiday season. Avoid the tempting holiday seasons and gaining extra pounds. This event will take place on Monday, November 26 from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM at 260 Long Ridge Road in Stamford. Click here for more information and to register.
Greater New Haven Region Events for November
- District Does Diabetes (New Haven): Learn and participate in exercise demonstrations, talk with health educators and professionals as well as attend a “Diabetes Talk” panel, including the founder of GlucoseZone. This event will bring the community together for an informative, FREE and fun night to learn about diabetes and how to reach your health and fitness goals on Thursday, November 8 from 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM at 420 James Street in New Haven. Click here for more information.
- Teen Mindfulness for Girls (Guilford): All teen girls are welcome to join this mindfulness workshop to learn how to deal with strong emotions. This workshop helps girls improve relationships, increase focus and attention, be kind to themselves and build self-awareness through different activities. Teen Mindfulness for Girls meets every Wednesday from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM starting Wednesday, November 7. Each session is $40 and located at the Wellness Retreat, 35 Boston Street in Guilford. Activities include meditation, self-expression through art and dance, breathing exercises and much more. Be sure to dress comfortable! Click here for more information.
- Platt Tech 5K Race & Fun Walk (Milford): Join this rave and fun walk on Sunday, November 4 at Platt Tech, 600 Orange Avenue in Milford. Trophies awarded to the top male and female finishers overall, in each division and top walkers overall. The 5K will be held at 10:00 AM and fun walk at 9:15 AM. Refreshments served after race and a raffle will be held during the awards ceremony. Showers and parking are available. A fee of $27.00 will be charged on race day, but this event is free for runners age 70+. Click here to register.
- Kids & Family Zumba (New Haven): FREE Zumba classes are available every Tuesday from November 6 – 27 at BEyond FITness located at 55 Laura Street in New Haven. Other classes and activities are available for a fee. Click here for more information.
- Branford Run Group (Branford): Looking for people to run with? Join the folks at soundRUNNER every weekend for a morning jaunt. Click here for more information.
November Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- Monthly Health Feature: What is Prediabetes?
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- Daycare Wellness Feature: Children’s Mental Health
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to email@example.com to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Follow us! Be sure to like and follow Get Healthy CT on Facebook and Twitter.