May 2017 Newsletter
Each month, Get Healthy CT develops a newsletter that contains information about upcoming local healthy eating and physical activity events. Our monthly newsletter also contains links to our monthly resources such as our Monthly Health Features, Workplace Wellness Ideas and Daycare Wellness Features.
GHCT News for May
- May is Mental Health Month: Our health and wellness is impacted by many factors, including our mental health. According to the National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI), 1 in 5 Americans will be affected by a mental health condition in their lifetime and every American is affected or impacted through their friends and family. Take action today to help others as we fight stigma, provide support, educate the public and advocate for equal care. Click here for more information and resources.
- Local Mental Health Month Activities: The Southwest Regional Mental Health Board serves 14 communities throughout our GHCT regions. Their role is to bring together consumers of mental health services, their family members, behavioral health and social services providers, and town representatives to be the community’s voice in planning and monitoring the mental health system. Each year, throughout the month of May, they coordinate many events that are free and open to the public to raise awareness around mental health issues. Click here to visit their website and to learn more about all this month’s upcoming events.
- Get Ready for Screen-Free Week 2017: National Screen-Free Week is a campaign dedicated to encouraging children to unplug for a week and get out and play! This year’s week-long event will take place May 1-7. Visit their website for more information on how to plan your own screen-free events. Also, click here to download and print our Screen-Free Week materials that GHCT partners created to help celebrate this week locally.
Greater Bridgeport Region Events for May
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (Bridgeport): Saturday mornings from May 6 – June 10, please join the Bridgeport Department of Health and Social Services, along with Get Healthy CT, who will host walk and talks which allows individuals to get some physical activity while chatting with local healthcare professionals to learn about general health information. The walks will begin at 9:00 AM but arrive 15 minutes before the start of each walk. The meeting place for these walks will be at the West Beach Bath House at Seaside Park in Bridgeport, free parking is available! For more details on these walks, email firstname.lastname@example.org and click here to register.
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (Stratford): Join the Stratford Health Department on Saturday, May 13 from 9:30 AM-11:00 AM for their first Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk. This walk will take place at the Stratford Sea Wall located at 53 Beach Drive, Stratford. This event is open to women of all ages and activity levels. Family members, children and dogs are also invited to join in the fun. Click here for their flyer or visit their Facebook page for more information.
- Head and Neck Cancer Screening (Trumbull): On May 4, Yale New Haven Health is hosting a free head and neck cancer screening for anyone over the age of 18. This screening will take place at 5520 Park Avenue in Trumbull, specifically on level one in the specialty physician’s area beginning at 4:30 PM and ending at 6:30 PM. Public transportation and handicapped access are available. This screening is FREE and will only take nearly five minutes; there are still plenty of openings available! Click here for more information.
- Mother’s Day Luncheon (Bridgeport): Join the first annual Mother’s Day Luncheon on May 13 from 1:30 PM-4:00 PM at at Bridgeport Public Library North Branch, located at 3455 Madison Avenue, Bridgeport. Come celebrate motherhood with your mother or anyone who you see as a mother figure. Included in this celebration there will be presentation on the importance of self-care for mothers. Tickets are free but there is a first come first serve basis so grab your tickets today! Every mother that attends will be given a bag containing self-care items. Click here for more information.
- Mammography Screening (Bridgeport): On May 23, 2017 the Yale-New Haven Digital Mammography Van will visit the Burroughs Community Center in Bridgeport, located at 2470 Fairfield Avenue. The screenings will begin at 9:00 AM and will end at 2:30 PM. To be eligible to attend, women must be 40 years of age or older, have no known breast problems, have no breast implants and have not had a mammogram screening in the past 12 months. This screening is taking place in recognition of National Women’s Health Week and is sponsored by The Witness Project of CT, Inc. Call (203) 367-4432 for more details.
Greater Greenwich Region Events for May
- Blood Pressure Screening (Greenwich): Greenwich Hospital will host free blood pressure screenings at the Greenwich Library from 11:30 AM-1:30 PM on Monday, May 1. No appointments are necessary. This event takes place every Monday afternoon in the health information center of the public library and is a great opportunity for individuals to learn their own numbers and to stay on top of them. Click here for more information.
- Mommy and Me Yoga (Greenwich): Join this Mommy and Me Yoga class on Thursday, May 4 from 11:30 AM-12:30 PM at 38 Volunteer Lane, Greenwich. This class allows mothers and their babies to bond while interacting with other mothers and babies and is open to moms and babies anywhere from six weeks to nine months. Come join in this opportunity for gentle exercise, strengthening and toning, as well as healing the mind, body and soul post-partum. There is a fee of $60 for the class. Click here for more information.
- Health & Wellness Fundraiser (Stamford): Experience stretching and strength through various yoga and pilates activities on Thursday, May 11, 2017 from 5:30 PM-8:00 PM. The location of this event is on the second floor of Synergy Health & Fitness in Stamford (1177 Summer Street). Tickets are $25 online and $30 at the door; all proceeds will be donated to Clothes To Kids of Fairfield County. This fundraiser will help provide used clothing to low-income or in-crisis school age children in Fairfield Country. Click here for more information.
- Sun Safety Awareness (Greenwich): Join Greenwich Hospital on Thursday, May 18 for a sun safety awareness program from 10:30 AM-11:30 AM in the lobby of 77 Lafayette Place in Greenwich. A registered nurse will be on site to educate individuals on knowledge to protect your skin. Information will be displayed and questions are welcome. Anyone who would like to attend is more than welcome, public transportation is available. Click here for more information.
- 2nd Annual Buddy Up 5K (Greenwich): The Greenwich YMCA is hosting their second annual family friendly 5K which is supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on Saturday, May 20 at the Greenwich Country Day School, 401 Old Church Road. Registration begins at 8:00 AM and the race begins at 8:30 AM. Grab a buddy and get some exercise all while supporting and improving lives by donating to curing Type 1 diabetes. Click here for more information.
Greater New Haven Region Events for May
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (New Haven): Join local health care providers every Saturday morning at 9:00 AM from April 1 through June 24 as we walk the Farmington Canal Trail. Get some great physical activity and a chance to talk to health care providers about general health issues. Open to all ages and fitness levels. Attend as many walks as you can! Parking available at New Freedom Missionary Baptist Church, 280 Starr Street, New Haven. Click here for more information and to learn how to register for the walks.
- Spring Health Talks (Hamden): Thyme & Season Natural Food Market is hosting wellness health talks throughout the spring of 2017. On Thursday, May 4 from 7:00 PM-8:00 PM, Mathew Robinson will be hosting an educational program on Hypo-Thyroidism. All talks are presented by physicians or other healthcare professionals and will take place at the Thyme & Season Natural Food Market on 3040 Whitney Avenue, RT. 10, Mt. Carmel Section in Hamden. These talks will take place through May 25 and will feature a new topic each time. Call the market at (203) 407-8128 or click here for more information.
- Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk (Madison): Join the Madison Health Department on Saturday, May 6 for their first Get Healthy Walk ‘n Talk event. There will be 3 walking sessions, 9-10 am, 10-11 am and 11-12. Walks will take place along the Greenway Trail at Hammonasset State Park. Click here for more information or call Ruth at (203) 214-3206.
- Front Street Dash (New Haven): Join the Front Street Dash on Saturday, May 20 at 307 Front Street in New Haven. This event will begin at 11:15 AM and the race will end at 12:00 PM. Registration fee is only $15, which includes a dancing lobster t-shirt, refreshments after the race, and live music. The route of the race is along the scenic Quinnipiac River and will include three waves one for men, one for women and the third to walkers and children. Proceeds from this run will be donated to the Friends Center for Children in New Haven. Click here for more information.
- From Surviving to Thriving (New Haven): Living with a chronic illness can hold many back from doing everyday activities. On Wednesday, May 24 from 6 PM – 7 PM, Elm City Wellness is hosting an educational workshop that teaches individuals how to manage limitations to thrive. Visitors will be educated on how to eat well when dealing with limited energy as well as how to maximize your energy by reframing your limitations. This workshop will also explain how to incorporate exercise ideas such as tai chi and yoga into their schedule. This event will take place at Elm City Wellness, 772 Orange Street, New Haven. Click here for more information.
May Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature
- The Get Healthy CT Monthly Health Feature, located on our website, focuses on a different health topic each month and creates a packet which can be downloaded and printed online. Each packet of information contains simple healthy eating and physical activity tips. Most information is available in English and Spanish.
- May Monthly Health Feature: Improve Your Mental Health
Information for Employers
- Get Healthy CT aims to provide businesses with ideas that will facilitate healthy behaviors for their employees to improve employee satisfaction, productivity and showcase the employer as a role model for health. To support this, we will provide a “Workplace Wellness Idea” each month which employers can implement at low or no cost.
- Workplace Wellness Idea #32- Provide Healthy Eating Tips
Information for Daycare and Early Childhood Programs
- Get Healthy CT is happy to share our Monthly Daycare Wellness Feature. This packet of information is meant to provide useful, educational materials to daycare providers and parents. We aim to support early childcare and education centers to encourage healthy eating and physical activity among our youngest residents ages 0 to 5. Please share with local daycare center staff, children and parents.
- May Daycare Wellness Feature: Reducing Screen Time
- Have an upcoming event to share? If you have any upcoming events or news about your organization that you would like us to share, please email email@example.com or message us through our Get Healthy CT Facebook page.
- Want to sign up for our monthly newsletter updates? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join our mailing list and receive a reminder when our newsletters and resources are published on our website.
- Help spread Get Healthy CT News! Please forward this information to your local networks or post it on your Facebook page.